Automation Consultants makes use of containers in its services to make your infrastructure more efficient.
Containers are at the centre of dev ops, and are prevalent in large scale clouds. If you use a cloud computing service from Google, Facebook, Microsoft or any large SaaS provider, the chances are that the software at the server end is running in a container. Docker provides the industry standard for containers.
Docker containers can be thought of as cut-down virtual machines. They can host applications, and they provide an isolated environment in which an application can run. The main differences are:
- Containers are lightweight: they require less storage than a VM, and when run, they take up far less memory – often little more than what is needed for the application they contain.
- Containers are fast: they can be started and stopped in milliseconds instead of minutes.
- Containers are intended to be disposable. It is normal to start them from an unchanging image (i.e. a template), and discard them once they are stopped. Application data is kept on shared or network drives and persists after the container is destroyed. Any changes made to the container’s internal files and thus its configuration are lost. This ensures that when a new container is spun up from the template, its settings and configuration are identical to those of previous containers created from that image.
- Docker has a versioning system. If it is desirable to keep changes made to a container, it can be saved as a new version of the image. The changes between versions are recorded and can be displayed.
The benefits of containers include
- Consistent environments in development and testing: bugs which appear in one environment will appear in the others. Containers are increasingly used in CI/CD, by such systems as Drone and Shippable.
- Developers can code in environments which more closely resemble production. The services which exist in production can each be run in a container in the development environment, thanks to containers’ light weight.
- Multiple applications can be run in containers in the same machine without interfering with each other.
- Ease of sandboxing for debugging. If a bug is discovered, a sandbox environment can be created very rapidly and fixes then deployed rapidly to production.
In large scale clouds, containers are deployed by the thousand, and must be managed by an orchestration system such as Kubernetes or Docker swarm mode.
+44(0)118 932 3001
Automation Consultants shares the same working values as us – they are part of our team, literally! They supply us with up-to-speed consultants who fit in seamlessly.
Theresa Pemble, solution delivery manager, Severn Trent
Using the technical expertise of Automation Consultants' people we have been able to identify and fix problems very early in the migration process thus saving valuable time.
HP Consulting and Integration
In an agile workflow changes to source code should be deployed and tested early and often – as soon as there is a working component you try it out straight away. After working with Automation Consultants all the developer had to do was click a button and wait 20 minutes to register the changes to the advertising platform.
Malcolm Reid, head of product development, Sky IQ
Automation Consultants has been involved in several different projects, from normal performance testing to testing the capability of new hardware systems, as well as creating several innovative bespoke tools that improved productivity, delivered high standard results and added value to the test process. During all of these projects, AC has been flexible and helpful, going out of their way to resolve any difficult technical issues.
Kenneth Lagerwall ,
IS Quality Services, T-Mobile UK
Automation Consultants' technical knowledge and understanding of the Rational toolset, combined with the excellent training they provide, has meant we can forge ahead with application development.
Andy King, head of test, ONS
Automation Consultants has been able to deploy highly skilled resources at very short notice and has always met very demanding delivery deadlines
HP Consulting and Integration
- About Us
- Blog / News