What is Bitbucket?
To collaborate effectively, professional software development teams need access to a modern source code management tool. Bitbucket is just that – and more.
Available in the cloud or self-hosted, Bitbucket is a web-based version control tool for developers using the Git source code control system. By offering storage, full user access control and integration with the Atlassian suite in one tidy package, Bitbucket helps developers work together in a more efficient, more effective, and ultimately more intelligent way.
You can integrate Bitbucket with Jira Software to associate sections of code with Jira tasks (i.e. issues) which can be updated automatically as soon as this code is pushed. Access to the code is controlled by the ability to grant custom privileges to ensure all requests to view or edit code are managed appropriately.
Key features of Bitbucket
- Code aware search: Use semantic search tools to rank definitions first. In other words, when you search for a class, you get the definition of the class first, before all the places where the class is used, saving you the time and hassle of poring through usage results yourself, searching for the definition.
- Access control: Highly specific branch permissions for all team members means changes to code are only made by people with the authority to do so.
- Better code reviews: Use pull requests to enable convenient code reviews – resulting in better work and better opportunities for knowledge sharing within the team.
- Streamlined development: Manage the development process from code to deployment with Bitbucket Pipelines.
- Improved collaboration: Assign tasks and work with your team via Trello boards.
- Enhanced storage: With Git Large File Storage, store large data and rich media in your repository.
When choosing your hosting for Bitbucket, there are two main options:
- Self-hosted (Server or Data Center)
Server is one of the more cost-effective options: it’s a one-off payment and you get a perpetual license. But it comes with certain limitations. Server is best suited to small teams – so if you’re growing fast, you could find you’ve outgrown its capabilities, as performance at scale and availability become more important and any outages you may suffer become more costly.
Data Center is ideal for large teams using Bitbucket because it is optimised for scale: you get ongoing maintenance and disaster recovery services in exchange for an annual licence fee. Self-hosting is attractive to teams that require total control over the environment, but that also means you have to do the administration and maintenance work yourself.
If you’re not keen on self-hosting, you may want to choose the Cloud hosting option, which allows Atlassian to host your environment for you. It includes all maintenance and recovery services, as well as immediate access to new features and updates.
Our Bitbucket support services
At Automation Consultants, we offer Bitbucket support services encompassing:
- Software updates and upgrades
- Product and app integrations
- Managed hosting
- Application performance management (APM)
We supply consistent service level agreements (SLAs) and have designed a support package with three main options:
- Core: Proactive and reactive support available during core business hours.
- Hourly: Pay for support per hour whenever you need it – and with no longer term plan.
- 24/7: Round-the-clock support to help your Bitbucket environment run efficiently.
Our training services
Whether you need a one-day introduction to core Bitbucket features, a bespoke course, or a simple refresher, we can help.
Find out more about our Bitbucket training.
Working with Automation Consultants
At Automation Consultants, we offer superior expertise and experience in the Atlassian toolset. As an Atlassian Enterprise Platinum Solution Partner, we’ve worked with large enterprises across a range of industries to deliver Atlassian consultancy and support.
Get in touch with our experts today to receive a free quote and initial consultation about your Bitbucket requirements.
Automation Consultants is an Atlassian Platinum Solution Partner. You can buy Atlassian Products from us on corporate terms via purchase order and invoice and benefit from our expert Atlassian consultancy and integration services.
+44(0)118 932 3001
Portfolio for JIRA 2.0
Automation Consultants shares the same working values as us – they are part of our team, literally! They supply us with up-to-speed consultants who fit in seamlessly.
Theresa Pemble, solution delivery manager, Severn Trent
Using the technical expertise of Automation Consultants' people we have been able to identify and fix problems very early in the migration process thus saving valuable time.
HP Consulting and Integration
In an agile workflow changes to source code should be deployed and tested early and often – as soon as there is a working component you try it out straight away. After working with Automation Consultants all the developer had to do was click a button and wait 20 minutes to register the changes to the advertising platform.
Malcolm Reid, head of product development, Sky IQ
Automation Consultants has been involved in several different projects, from normal performance testing to testing the capability of new hardware systems, as well as creating several innovative bespoke tools that improved productivity, delivered high standard results and added value to the test process. During all of these projects, AC has been flexible and helpful, going out of their way to resolve any difficult technical issues.
Kenneth Lagerwall ,
IS Quality Services, T-Mobile UK
Automation Consultants' technical knowledge and understanding of the Rational toolset, combined with the excellent training they provide, has meant we can forge ahead with application development.
Andy King, head of test, ONS
Automation Consultants has been able to deploy highly skilled resources at very short notice and has always met very demanding delivery deadlines
HP Consulting and Integration
- About Us
- Blog / News
- About Us▼
- Blog / News