IBM Rational DOORS Next Generation
What is DOORS Next Generation?
IBM Rational DOORS Next Generation (DNG), formerly Rational Requirements Composer, is a repository for storing the requirements to which a software program is developed. It is a member of the CLM suite. Very often, software must meet the requirements of a wide range of stakeholders. The various requirements must be carefully organised and prioritised so that the most important requirements are implemented first, requirements do not conflict and requirements are not lost or forgotten. DNG provides a powerful platform to accomplish these goals and is a considerable improvement on managing requirements by individual documents and email – enabling quicker and more cost effective IT project delivery. IBM DNG also integrates with the rest of the CLM suite so that its requirements can be linked directly to the stories and code managed in Rational Team Concert (RTC). In this way, elements of code can be traced all the way back to the requirements.
What DNG does
Rational DOORS Next Generation allows a team of users to create requirements for a software project, and manage and review them together. DNG allows requirements to be stored together with all supporting material, such as diagrams. It provides a means of grouping the requirements, and recording comments, changes and approvals. It provides a mechanism for reviewing and approving requirements and integrates with downstream products, mainly Rational Team Concert (RTC), so developers can use approved requirements as the basis for planning and executing software development. DNG keeps track of the history of each requirement, so it can be traced back to its origins, and the integration with RTC extends this traceability so that stories and work items in RTC can also be traced back to their related requirements.
The main benefits of DOOR Next Generation are as follows:
- Requirements are stored in one place, preventing the creation of several versions of the same requirement. If a requirement is changed, all stakeholders can see the change and comment on it.
- Reviews can be structured and tracked so as to make sure that everybody who needs to review and approve a requirement does so.
- Requirements can be grouped into logical sets that can form the basis of a release of software. The requirements in a group can be reviewed together and passed as a group to RTC for implementation.
- Integration with development: DNG integrates with RTC, which handles project management and development in the CLM suite. It is possible to create a project which spans DNG and RTC. Requirements in DNG can thus be linked to stories (or tasks if using formal – waterfall – methods). The stories or tasks are implemented in code and thus code can be traced back to the requirements.
- Integration with testing: DNG and RTC both integrate with Rational Quality Manager (RQM). RQM stores tests and these tests can be linked to DNG requirements, making it easy to ensure that every piece of functionality in a release has been tested (i.e. test coverage is complete).
DOORS Next Generation includes the following features:
- DNG is part of the IBM Rational Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM) suite and is built on the Jazz platform.
- Requirements are stored as ‘artifacts’. An artifact may be a requirement of various different forms. The most basic is text, but an artifact may also take the form of a sketch (of a user interface), flow diagram or storyboard, amongst others.
- Artifacts may be linked to each other to express hierarchical or other relationships. This makes it easy to find all the related artifacts of an artifact which, for example, is being changed.
- Roles / permissions: different users can be granted different permissions at both the level of the entire DNG application and also at the level of each project. This ensures that only the appropriate people may access and/or modify requirements.
- Requirements may be imported from outside sources such as spreadsheets and CSV files. This facilitates moving from a spreadsheet-based requirements system to DNG.
- Requirements may be exported to a CSV file, or as a document or report.
Automation Consultants is an authorised reseller of IBM products. You can buy IBM CLM tools from us at a discount to the list price and benefit from our expert consultancy services.
+44(0)118 932 3001
Automation Consultants shares the same working values as us – they are part of our team, literally! They supply us with up-to-speed consultants who fit in seamlessly.
Theresa Pemble, solution delivery manager, Severn Trent
Using the technical expertise of Automation Consultants' people we have been able to identify and fix problems very early in the migration process thus saving valuable time.
HP Consulting and Integration
In an agile workflow changes to source code should be deployed and tested early and often – as soon as there is a working component you try it out straight away. After working with Automation Consultants all the developer had to do was click a button and wait 20 minutes to register the changes to the advertising platform.
Malcolm Reid, head of product development, Sky IQ
Automation Consultants has been involved in several different projects, from normal performance testing to testing the capability of new hardware systems, as well as creating several innovative bespoke tools that improved productivity, delivered high standard results and added value to the test process. During all of these projects, AC has been flexible and helpful, going out of their way to resolve any difficult technical issues.
Kenneth Lagerwall ,
IS Quality Services, T-Mobile UK
Automation Consultants' technical knowledge and understanding of the Rational toolset, combined with the excellent training they provide, has meant we can forge ahead with application development.
Andy King, head of test, ONS
Automation Consultants has been able to deploy highly skilled resources at very short notice and has always met very demanding delivery deadlines
HP Consulting and Integration
- About Us
- Blog / News
- About Us▼
- Blog / News